Sunday, August 22, 2010

My old person room.

Last weekend we had some buddies come to town and stay with us for 2 days.. While they were here a friend of mine told me that my bedroom looks like an old person's room..
Is that a really weird thing to say or what?
My bestie Stephanie, who has a way of explaining things for me, told me its because my furniture matches, my bed is made and the towels in my bathroom are folded and on a rack for towels, made for a bathroom.. Okay i thought, Josh is single and doesn't have any kids so i really doubt he makes his bed or folds his towels.. But i don't really think those things make me an old person. Hell I'm only 26! I just like having the option of using a fresh towel. Which i only do about once a week anyway. Really if your only using it when you get out of the shower and your bathing yourself properly, your towel should last a while.. I normally keep two hanging up. One for my hair and one for the rest of me. If i used two clean towels every day that's 60 towels a month and that's alot of wasted water and electricity.. But anyway, back to the bathroom.. Its kind of weird that Josh said my room reminded him of an old persons room because for the last 5 years or so, every time i go in my bathroom when its cold outside it distinctly smells like the bathroom that was off of the master bedroom at my Mimi and Papa's house on Pinnacle Drive. My Mimi's bathroom.. When i was younger i used to love going in her bathroom because she just had gobs and gobs of make up and a million bottles of perfume, make up mirrors, hair rollers and a hundred different hairbrushes and my totally manly super fabulous cousin Josh who would do my hair and make up in there.. I loved the way that room smelled. I used to think that it smelled like that because of all the stuff she kept in there.. I mean really 50 tubes of brightly colored department store lipstick, the stuff that in my opinion was the fancy kind, nothing you could buy at Walmart. But my bathroom is nothing like that. Next to my sink is a cup for my toothbrush and a satin hands set. Next to James' sink is his razor, some shaving foam and a cup for his toothbrush. In between is a basket with mouthwash and toothpaste and other daily use stuff that i just don't want cluttering up the counter.. I have a make up box but i never really use it so it stays put up under the cabinet.. The only thing my bathroom and Mimi's bathroom have in common is bleach. We're both pretty big fans of bleach. If you want a really clean bathroom, Clorox can be your friend. The weird thing is, the smell that i keep talking about doesn't smell anything like bleach.. It smells like waking up at 5 AM for no apparent reason when its 45 degrees in the house and 110 outside, coming downstairs to your grandparents who have clearly been up for an hour, eating breakfast then hugging your perfectly made up grandmother who's hair is done and is wearing one of the hundreds of shades of Estee Lauder or Clinique lipsticks, picked to perfectly match what shes wearing that day (that no doubt also came from a department store).. I so idolized her as a child and i still do.. Everyone should have a Mimi like i do. Now that I'm an adult woman with a family of my own, i realize i will never be the kind that buys lipstick from a make up counter at a department store.. I'm really not the kind that wears lipstick and i also don't think i will ever have an intercom in my house.. Yea they had one of those. They were pretty popular when they built that house. But i will always carry with me the other things i take from my Grandmother. How to give good hugs. How nice it is to have home canned foods in the garage. How to love and how to forgive. How to be an elegant southern woman and most importantly, how to smell good..

No comments:

Post a Comment