Thursday, March 25, 2010

Just a little rain

Today, there was a thunderstorm and it was great.

After living in a place where it rains twice a year for three years you could imagine how much a girl from South Mississippi appreciates the afternoon thunder boomer. I got up this morning, had my coffee and checked the weather, like i always do. When i saw that big line of red heading right towards us a smile spread across my face! Is it weird that bad weather puts a spring in my step? I don't think so.. I tried to get the boys excited about it but they are 4, 3 and 8 months so a rainy afternoon isn't exactly their idea of big fun.. I opened all the windows and doors, turned on the ceiling fans and off the lights and waited for it to come.. It took a little longer than i anticipated but that okay because it gave me some time to sweep off the patio and gather up the kid toys in the yard. Right about the time i picked up the last tonka truck i felt the first sprinkle and it was beautiful! Within just a few minutes buckets of water were falling out of the sky and every few seconds a rumble of thunder shook through the house. I was in heaven! There is nothing quite like the beginning of afternoon showers. Temps in the 70s, high humidity and lots of lightening calms my soul (ha who am i kidding, i don't have a soul!! lol). Everything was amazing and then, just out of the blue, lightening struck my neighbors house.. Everything was fine, no fire or anything, just loud as hell!! For a second i thought it hit my front yard. I had all the doors and windows open and it got very bright and very loud, very quickly.. Then my "I've been through worse before brain" came back online and i realized as my computer screen went black that the bright light was coming from the power surging through the light over my head.. Then everything was quiet. I got up and went into the little boy's room to reassure them because their window was open and they were napping but apparently both of them slept right through it.. They get that from James..
It was so striking (no pun intended) how that one bolt of lightening reminded me that i am back in the place i call home, generally anyway.. The Southeast United States.. Say what you want about it but i was Mississippi born, Mississippi bred and when i die ill be Mississippi dead. From light spring rains to late summer hurricanes I am all about some precipitation and today was just what i have been needing..

No comments:

Post a Comment