Monday, April 26, 2010

5 things i try not to do..

5. I try not to tell other people what to do with their kids..
I know that generally i come off as blunt and obtrusive so i pretty much try to avoid sensitive topics (like parenting styles).. People get really defensive over how they raise their kids.. Good thing about that is there are a million different ways to raise a kid right and only a handful of ways to screw them up permanently.. So when i see people raising pansy, bratty, disrespectful toddlers I'm not going to say anything out loud to you, though you can be assured in my head I'm thinking "have fun with that in 15 years". I know that people probably think that I'm too hard on my boys or not affectionate enough or whatever. But don't tell me what you think I'm doing wrong. If i had wanted sissies i would have given them girls names.. okay back to my point, i don't tell other people what to do with their kids (unless they ask) because i don't want anybody telling me how to raise mine..

4. I try to never say never.
7 years ago when James and I started dating if someone had told me where we would be today, i would have called bullshit on em'.. 10 years ago if someone had told me that one day i would be dating James, i wouldn't have believed them and 16 years ago, if you had tracked down little Brandy riding in the back of her Moms suburban and told me one day you'll drive your own suburban with 3 kids of your own... You get my point... You never know where tomorrow will take you. What is permanent anyway? Ill never leave this town? That was something i said alot growing up in Hattiesburg and guess where i don't live anymore! 5 minutes after the most excruciating pain i think any human could ever go through during the delivery of Presley i thought, I am never doing that again.. Well i wouldn't have all three of my beautiful boys then would I??

3. I try not to lie to my kids..
I'm raising my boys as atheist, i don't want their little blond heads full of delusions about a magic zombie saving their souls with a fat guy in a red suit and a rabbit that lays eggs.. When i was pregnant with Wilson and Presley asked how DID the baby get in there? I simply told him Daddy put it there with a special hug that Mommy's and Daddy's do.. Just because children are young and their thoughts aren't exactly deep yet doesn't mean they don't rationalize.. I want to always be honest with the boys because i want the boys to always be honest with me.. They need to feel like they can talk to Mom and Dad and be upfront, not talking in circles behind birds and bees or monsters in closets.. I try to give my kids credit for having thoughts, questions, concerns and opinions.. I remember being lied to as a kid by adults who didn't think i could handle the truth, and it bugged me..

2. I try not to let other peoples opinions of me, get to me..
Like i said before i know that i come off as blunt and most people either really like me or just cant stand the sight of me.. I tell myself that its those people that have a problem with themselves and not me. Sometimes the truth hurts and you can either take it like a man or you can decide that you don't like me because I'm the only person around you that's being honest with you... Stop going to the bar and picking up strange men, your a mother for Pete's sake...

1. I try not to complain about being a Mom
okay not directly, i cant think anyone who complains of JUST being a mom but the parts of being a Mom. I know your tired, were all fucking tired!! I'm sorry you don't have any time for yourself but that's not what you signed up for!! I try not to complain about the hard parts of Motherhood because anyone who is a mother (whether a great Mom or a shitty mom) already knows.. I don't want to complain about being tired to a bunch of women who are also tired because its almost rude.. Hell it is rude! We all go through these things and everybody handles it differently. Some of us were made to be Mothers and the hard days are just a breeze, some of us's whole world just crumbles because the three week old baby who sleeps 20 hours a day is too much work.. I think i fall somewhere in the middle of those two examples and i try to keep my head up and keep a handle on the housework.. I know that i don't have much time for myself right now but time for myself just isn't a part of this chapter.. This is the building my family, having little babies, always being pregnant, never sleeping and taking the little bit of extra time I've got and giving it to my husband chapter.. and as sad as it is, this chapter will be over before i know it and my boys will get bigger and life will move on.. Ill have plenty of time to sleep later in my book but for now that's not what life is about..

No comments:

Post a Comment